Cream cheese tea sandwiches are incredibly easy and versatile. There are so many possible ingredients that combine well with cream cheese, such as cucumbers or strawberries. But this recipe makes a simple herbed sandwich. We use chives but you can easily substitute with any combination of fresh herbs that you prefer such as watercress, basil, or parsley. Also experiment and adjust the amounts of cream cheese and herbs to fit your taste.
- ¼ cup (4 oz) cream cheese, whipped or softened
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 4 slices firm-textured white bread
- Paprika to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and chives until well mixed.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto each of the bread slices.
- Sprinkle with paprika to taste.
- Close the sandwiches and remove the crusts. Cut into the desired shape, either making diagonal cuts to form triangle sandwiches or vertical cuts to form rectangular, finger sandwiches.
Yields 6 finger or 8 triangle sandwiches.