These pesto pinwheels are a delicious Italian-style appetizer. They look really fancy and difficult to make but are actually ridiculously easy! You only need four ingredients which require very little prep. Both the basil pesto and roasted red peppers can be bought already prepared in a jar. Make sure to drain the red peppers well if from a jar or else you’ll end up a soggy mess. It is also essential to serve this appetizer warm. You can prepare the bites ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator. Then pop them into the oven minutes before you’re ready to serve.
- 1 (8 oz) package of crescent rolls, refrigerated
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, drained well (if from a jar) and chopped
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Roll out the crescent roll dough and separate it into 2 large rectangles. Press firmly along the perforations in the dough to seal them so that the dough doesn’t fall apart along these punctures.
- Spread the prepared pesto over the dough leaving a little room around the edges. Then sprinkle evenly with the roasted red peppers and parmesan cheese.
- Roll up each rectangle (as you would a jelly roll) from the short side and press the edges firmly together to seal the rolls shut at the ends.
- Using a sharp, serrated knife, cut each dough roll into approximately 10 slices.
- Place the bites with cut side down on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the dough is a golden brown color.
Yields approximately 20 pesto pinwheels.